Saturday, June 04, 2005

Fiona and her unreleased gem

Fiona Apple's new album, Extraordinary Machine, is full of lush and rhythmic orchestration, intricate melodies, and happy lyrics from Fiona??

Why haven't you heard of it, or listened to the new single on the radio, or seen the new video on MTV?

Fiona Apple's third album, completed in May 2003, was shelved by her record label, Sony, for lack of an "obvious single."

But this is only the beginning of the story..

In January 2004 DJ Andrew Harms from Seattle's 107.7, The End, played songs from Fiona's unreleased album live on the radio station. Listeners from across the country recorded and downloaded the music. The sweeping Fiona internet music frenzy began.

An April 05' Wired News reported that 38,000 users in the United States were sharing at least one track from the Extraordinary Machine album.

The album is available for your listening pleasure at a peer to peer network of your choosing.

Now here's a sampling of lyrics from the album:

Red, Red Red
I don't understand about complimentary colors
And what they say
Side by side they both get bright
Together they both get gray
But he's been pretty much yellow
And I've been crying blue
But all I can see isRed, red, red, red, red now
What am I to do

I don't understand about
Diamonds and why men buy them
What's so impressive about a diamond
Except the mining
And it's dangerous work
Trying to get to you too
And I think if I didn't have toKill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill myself doing it
Maybe I would glisten so much for you

Waltz
If you don't have a song
To sing you're okay
You know how to get alongHummingHmmm
If you don't have a date
CelebrateGo out and sit on the lawn
And do nothing'
Cause it's just what you must do
Nobody does it anymore
No I don't believe in the wasting of time,
But I don't believe that I'm wasting mine


No comments:

Followers